Tamiya M8 Greyhound Group Build: Project Conclusion

Well, we’ve managed to work through our first AMPS Central Virginia project. At this point, you should be in the final construction phase and just about ready to display your completed project. Along with improving our research and build skills, the goal for this project was to have as many participants finish their build in the allotted time of five months. We’ll take our completed models on the road next month to the 2012 AMPS International Convention.

Each of us approaches the completion of a project in a different manner. Some spend as much time in the completion phases as they do during the build. Others are so glad to get their model off the bench that they rush through the completion phase so they can get to the next project. I know it’s time to complete a project when I start knocking stuff off the model. At this point, it’s time for me to wrap up construction and break out the paint.

I elected to replace the kit ammunition storage racks with those found in the Eduard PE set. There are two channels cut in the right turret side (part D15) which align the kit ammunition storage racks (parts D13 and D20). These channels need to be filled with putty to smooth out the turret wall to accept the PE ammunition storage rack. Each Eduard PE ammunition storage rack consists of a rack assembly (part 45), lower plate (part 44) and eight ammunition clips (part 27). These clips are the spawn of the devil. Using the trusty Fold-n-Hold I bent various parts for the rack assembly. I then soldered the lower plate into this assembly and glued the assembly to the right side of the turret.

Download the PDF for Part 6, Project Completion.

m8 m8 m8 m8

Notes from the group:

  • Rescuing the M8 by Bob Walls Bob WallsI got the kit 90% finished and then its storage box fell off the top of my work cabinet. Flew out of its box and parts went every which way. It took some super glue and a lot of hemming and hawing to get it all back together. Luckily between some PE parts and some make due scratch built parts, I got it at least back to a presentable condition. Which is about my average modeling skills on a good day anyway. So in the long run, it was just another average build for me!

    Bob WallsThe model is an M-8 from C Troop, 18th Cavalry Recon Squadron attached to the 9th Armored Division as it would have looked the early part of December, 1944. The trailer is a Bantam T-3 from Italeri (or Willys as the kit states). The trailers were both identical except for the serial plate inside the trailer bed which said "Bantam." Since you can’t see the plate due to my tarp, you’ll have to take my word it’s a Bantam not a Willys. The M-8 book has a picture of two M-8’s from the 18th left abandoned on the side of the road, one towing this type trailer. This one is my idea of what another C Troop M-8 would have looked like a week before based on the two in the photo.
    --03/04/2012

© Copyright 2017 | All Rights Reserved | John Robinson